MELISSA G. SCHMIDT, “MISSY”
Subject Matter Specialist, Communication
With over 30 years of experience in marketing, communication and business development, my expertise and talents best accommodate long-term needs, especially with strategic planning and execution, focused on the building of open-ended community-centric win-win relationships.
• Public Participation | Community Outreach and Public Affairs
• Key Stakeholder/Membership Management and Retention
• Advertising | Events | Public Relations | Website and Print Collateral Design
• Brand Development | Brand Building
• Strategic and Market Planning | Marketing, For Profit and Nonprofit
• Budgeting and Expense Control | Contract and Price Negotiation | Purchasing
• Business Development | Staff Development and Motivation
• Government Contracting | Legislative Monitoring
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE
Hampton Roads Partnership, September 2008 - present
Vice President of Strategic Communication & Marketing; Communication Manager: Networked marketer with social media expertise, writer, editor and designer.
Organizational Mission: Pursuing competitiveness in a global economy by facilitating regional collaboration and action among business, academia, defense, nonprofit, government and citizens.
• Responsible for creating outbound communication, promotional materials, website (HRP.org), newsletters, blog (started SmartRegion.org), social media and more;
• Devise and implement a comprehensive communication strategy and outreach plan to extend the impact of HRP’s efforts and programs, internally with members and externally;
• Support transportation advocates and develop regional Legislative Agenda;
• Manage communication and develop public participation component of region’s first comprehensive economic development strategy, VisionHamptonRoads.com and create communications for InnovateHamptonRoads.com, the major program of HRP as identified with Vision planning; and
• Work with the America’s First Region regional citizenship program and develop appropriate branding campaigns.
Hampton Roads is Pentagon South, May 2007 – present
Transitioning to Innovation Gardening to support regional economic gardening efforts.
Marketing Ambassador: Award-winning freelancer in sales/business development, communication/marketing, and event planning. Networked within Hampton Roads government, business and non-profit communities, including defense- and security-related organizations.
• Director of Communications and Marketing (contract) for CASE, LLC, part of Chenega Corporation (CASE-LLC.com); develop and direct the firm's marketing and client communications programs including public relations, media relations, copywriting, graphic design, collateral materials, direct mail, website content and firm identity program, all in support of Business Development;
• Grassroots campaign for Hampton Roads Partnership (HRP) BeatTheGridlock.com;
• Website design and communication for Defense and Homeland Security Consortium, a Community within Technology Hampton Roads PentagonSouth.org; and
• Website design for Hampton Roads Chapter of American Marketing Association HRAMA.org.
Friendship Industries, Inc., September 2001 – June 2007
Director of Sales and Marketing: Built new position from existing base of customers.
• Coordinated feasibility and marketing studies to seek and grow new business opportunities;
• Grew business from $1.5M to $4M, operating 90% of time as road warrior;
• Contributed to and implemented Strategic Plan and created first Sales & Marketing Plan as part of Executive Management Team;
• Managed customer relationships and trained and managed internal customer service;
• Negotiated and maintained sales contracts, including estimating and pricing;
• Added profitable new business divisions in Contract Manufacturing and Importing;
• Achieved first government contract for USAF at $9M as sole mandatory source; and
• Developed and launched first-ever, interactive website: Friendship-Industries.com.
ASC-Automatic Service Company, Edinburg/Lynchburg VA, Jan 1992-Jun 2001
Divisional Company Manager, 1995-2001: Managed multi-million dollar Food Service Operation, including events, location development and design, sales/marketing, budget/forecast, personnel, purchasing, financials, cash handling; and directed staff of 90 employees and supervisors in over 50 client locations.
Virginia Sales and Marketing Manager, 1992¬-1995: Operated as sales, marketing and customer service force of one. Created and implemented sales plans, goals and objectives and designed all Business & Industrial (B&I) employee Food Services.
• Increased sales by $.5M in first year;
• Added $2.0M in second year, more than doubling Edinburg Division’s size; and
• Created all collateral marketing materials, print and direct mail.
Grubbs Chevrolet, Inc. (GrubbsChevrolet.com), Woodstock VA, Dec 1985–Jan 1992
Sales and Marketing Manager: Developed first marketing calendar and budget, utilizing Chevrolet co-op available, emphasizing the family-ownership brand.
• Researched, established and operated first Rental/Leasing Department;
• Researched, created and implemented first Credit & Collection Policies and Procedures; and
• Graduated Chevrolet’s Professional Sales School, earning recognition as 1st in class as GEO Sales Specialist.
TDX Systems, Inc., Rosslyn VA, Jan 1985 – Dec 1985
Outside and Telemarketing Sales Agent: B2B direct marketing and telemarketing sales of telecommunications services in teams.
Woodworth & Lothrop Stores, Inc., Washington DC, Jan 1984 – Jan 1985
Assistant Buyer - Corporate: Planned sales strategies, purchased merchandise for 16 retail Department Stores.
Leggett Stores (now Belk), Harrisonburg/Hampton/Winchester VA, May 1979 – Dec 1984
Divisional Mgr, Assistant Divisional Mgr, Department Mgr, Sales Associate and IT Systems Analyst: Worked through various positions and locations in upward progression from floor sales to Divisional Manger (managing 40 associates and 2 assistants), including Junior Executive Development Program. Implemented first computerized inventory control as IT Systems Analyst.
• B.S. cum laude - Dept. of H. E. - Merchandising & Marketing (now School of Business); Minor - Business Administration, James Madison University (JMU.edu), Harrisonburg VA, 1981
• NorthStar Training (Microsoft and Adobe Authorized), Virginia Beach VA, Adobe Creative Suite Advanced (design for web and print) and MS Office 2007 Advanced, 2008
• Tidewater Community College CED Certificate-Navigating Business with the Federal Government, Virginia Beach VA, TCC.edu/wd/govseminar.htm, 2008
• General Services Administration (GSA) Expo Certificate-Selling to the Federal Government, Advertising & Integrated Marketing Solutions with GSA/Federal Supply Service GSA.gov, 2005
• NISH Business Development Certificate and JWOD University Graduate (Now AbilityOne), Vienna VA NISH.org and AbilityOne.org, 2004
• MS Office Power User-Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, industry-specific software, Adobe Creative Suite, HTML, web-publishing, Customer Relationship Management software
NOTE-confidential and proprietary materials, such as solicitations and proposals, are not archived or available for review.
PROFESSIONAL SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
• American Planning Association (Virginia Chapter) Annual Conference – "Placemaking: Building a Regional Community of Communities," 2010
• Opportunity, Inc. Board of Directors – "Vision Hampton Roads, Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy," 2010
• Various city and county governments in Hampton Roads – "Presentation of the Hampton Roads Partnership Annual Impact," 2009
• Tidewater Community College’s Academy of Nonprofit Excellence – “Discovering and Navigating Niche Markets, Resources for the Nonprofit Marketer,” 2008
• Virginia Association of Community Rehabilitation Programs (vaACCSES) – “Building Brand Loyalty from the Inside Out – Creating Ambassadors Within Your Organization,” 2006
• American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) Marketing & Membership Conference – “Creating Passion is an Inside Job — The Why & How of Building a Great Staff Culture for Your Organization’s Success,” 2006
• Small Business Development Center – “Direct Mail & Me or Mailing: By the Numbers: Direct Mail 101," 2005
• 2007 NISH National Community Outreach Award for creative use of print materials, press releases, and other media to educate the community NISH.org
• 2007 USPS Professional Certificates–Nonprofit Mail and Targeted Mail Marketing USPS.com
• Numerous Employee of the Month Awards
• American Advertising Federation's Hampton Roads VA Chapter, past AAFHR.org
• American Marketing Association’s Hampton Roads VA Chapter, past VP-Marketing HRAMA.org ; Applying for Professional Certified Marketer™
• ASAE, American Society of Association Executives, past Vendor Member ASAECenter.org
• DMAW, Direct Marketing Association of Washington, past DMAW.org
• Hampton Roads Technology Council, Defense & Homeland Security Consortium, Marketing Sub-Committee Head, HRTC Website Admin PentagonSouth.org HRTC.org
• National Speakers Association of Virginia, past NSAVirginia.org
• Public Relations Society of America, Hampton Roads VA Chapter PRSAHR.org
• Tidewater Association of Service Contractors, past TASC-TGIC.org
• Town Point Club, Norfolk VA Town-Point.com
• WHRO, Public TV & Radio for Hampton Roads, Leadership Circle Member WHRO.org
• WOMMA, Word of Mouth Marketing Association, past WOMMA.org