Monday, September 10, 2007

Are you LinkedIn?


I rec'vd the funniest email from a friend and former business acquaintnance the other day after finding her on LinkedIn and sending a request to add her to my Contact List. Let me share it with you:


Yes, you have a profile on LinkedIn. You set it up at some point, but YOU are your only connection. How sad.

LinkedIn is a social networking site. Think of it as a business-to-business (B2B) cocktail party that you attend online (no drinking and driving!). When someone asks to "connect" with you, it's like exchanging business cards and letting everyone else at the party know with whom you exchanged cards.


LinkedIn is a great way to exchange leads, share referrals, make recommendations, create connections, develop or expand relationships, generate introductions...all without leaving your office or couch, whatever the case may be.

I'd like to stay in touch with you, so I can easily find you (and you can find me) if the need arises in the future to renew our business relationship. It may be as innocuous as you having an interest in a school I attended to share this info with the friend of a friend's child. I say never "burn" bridges; you never know when you'll need to cross that bridge again, or even make a hasty retreat some day!

I can send you another request, if you like; just in case you deleted my first one. Or try to find me on your own. Just use "Name Search" and type in "Missy Blankenship". And, feel free to ask anytime if you're not sure how something works. It really is easy to navigate and fairly self-explanatory. And, you can always click on "Help & FAQ", if you're stumped. Don't tell me you're not tech-savvy! You don't need to be.

Try it! Type in a search for former schools you attended or companies where you worked or the name of a long, lost love. You may be surprised but what you find, albeit pleasantly, I hope.


No comments: