Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Cruise to Nowhere



Bert and I sailed during Harborfest '08 from Norfolk's beautiful Half Moone Cruise Center (located in our neighborhood at the Nauticus) on the Carnival Victory... the "Cruise to Nowhere".


This was my "practice" cruise. Two days out through the Chesapeake Bay into the Atlantic where, at some point, we no longer see land, then turn around and sail back. "Practice", since I'm not at my best on anything with motion, at least not things over which I have no control (like ships, roller coasters and planes). "Practice", since it would be better to be sick for 2 days rather than 7, in case we have the opportunity to take a longer cruise.

The Nowhere Cruise has all the trappings of a regular cruise, and Bert went all out to secure the best suite with balcony and our own mini bar and steward. We dressed up to dine in the special dining room. And, I took dramamine every 12 hours. Everything was planned so that I wouldn't even think about the motion of the ocean.



That is, until, someone mentioned that the center section of the ship looked just like the movie, Poseidon Adventure. You know the one, where the boat turns upside down and almost everyone drowns. Nice!

Anyway, it was a great cruise. I gained my sea legs about the time we landed back in Norfolk, and we found out that I could definitely do a longer cruise, one that actually goes somewhere.

The views along the Elizabeth River and the Chesapeake Bay through Hampton Roads was incredible.

We did have a bit of smokiness due to the fires still burning in the Great Dismal Swamp. You can even see the smoke spiraling skyward in this pic from our balcony as we set sail.





No comments: