Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Citizen evangelists are what Hampton Roads needs

Yes, I "lurk", aka participate, on forums. Forums about technology, marketing (my avocation and vocation) and others.

The one to join here in Hampton Roads: UrbanPlanet.org > Cities, Places, Regions > USA South > Virginia

Forums like this help gauge the real heartbeat of a community. Get the "man on the street" point of view (POV). When everyday citizens are positively engaged in a community, look out! That is a truly vibrant community or region.

Citizen evangelists are what Hampton Roads needs. WITH the resources and connections to the "powers-that-be" to put words/ideas into action.

Hampton Roads has several citizen-engagement groups already. And, some great public/private partnership organizations as well. They could all help with this vision of Hampton Roads in terms of: the minimal funds needed and manning the all-volunteer, grassroots, roll-up-the-shirtsleeves "work" as well as word-of-mouth, etc.

I've found several examples of citizen-groundswell success stories across the country, one of which is celebrating their 10th anniversary this year. I'm collecting video and print/web collateral now to showcase and share what could happen here in Hampton Roads.

Email me at MGBlankenship@cox.net if you want to step up and help, too! I know I do. If you know of others who may be interested, pass this on and have them contact me.

Stay tuned...

No comments: