Friday, August 22, 2008

LinkedIn: In the questionnaire tradition of James Lipton


I asked the following on LinkedIn (and I'll post the best answers here):

In the tradition of James Lipton and "Inside the Actor’s Studio",

  • In your lifetime, what was the first marketing campaign you can recall?

  • What influence(s) made you decide to pursue marketing as a profession?

  • What qualities make for a great marketer?

  • Pick your preference: Hard and fast ROI or experiment and see what works?

  • You are your own brand: What is the tagline for your brand campaign?

  • When you arrive at the pearly gates, what do you hope is pointed out as your greatest single marketing accomplishment?

  • What is your favorite keyword?

  • What profession, other than marketing, would you most like to pursue?

1 comment:

Missy Schmidt said...

I thought I should leave my own responses to these questions as a point of reference:

* In your lifetime, what was the first marketing campaign you can recall? Maybe not the 1st but the most impressive to me was the "Wonderful World of Disney". It left such an impression on me that I've been to Disney World close to 20 times (including its opening year) and even honeymooned there.

* What influence(s) made you decide to pursue marketing as a profession? My father was a car dealer; he made his profits on used cars (now called "previously owned") and, man, sometimes that took creative marketing!

* What qualities make for a great marketer? Never content with the status quo. Eager to learn the parameters only so we can figure out how to push past them.

* Pick your preference: Hard and fast ROI or experiment and see what works? Sorry, I like both but will take either!

* You are your own brand: What is the tagline for your brand campaign? It changes as my focus changes; after all, we're living in exponential times. Right now, it's "Serving Hampton Roads: America's First Region".

* When you arrive at the pearly gates, what do you hope is pointed out as your greatest single marketing accomplishment? I don't care to be remembered myself, but I do want someone, some organization or some campaign I worked on/with to be remembered. Oh, and that I arrived at the pearly gates instead of you-know-where.

* What is your favorite keyword? Well, that changes daily if not hourly. Right now, it's "Hampton Roads".

* What profession, other than marketing, would you most like to pursue? I'd probably go back to selling/marketing cars or some form of transportation. I sold cars for 7 years, trained the "General Motors Way", and have got to think there is a better way.