Monday, September 08, 2008

In the questionnaire tradition of James Lipton, best response

Best response from my earlier post and the winner is Lorraine Baker, Owner-Creative Business Consultant-Writing & Editing Professional at LBEnterprises

Here are Lorraine's responses:

* In your lifetime, what was the first marketing campaign you can recall?
You’re not going to believe this, but it was actually Me.

At age 3, I was under serious consideration to be the “Yum, Yum Cereal Girl” for Post Sugar Crisp Cereal; even got to the point that the marketing agency did a mock up ad layout, and my hometown paper did a feature story with photo -- of me holding a teddy bear.

As it turned, out, I lost out to what became the “3 Sugar Crisp Bears” ; so maybe it wasn’t such a great idea to be photographed with a teddy bear after all – although I adored that bear – a birth gift from an uncle ( two tone made of mouton fur -- PETA wouldn’t be pleased if they knew I still have that bear). My payment/ consolation gift -- a whimsical salt and pepper set that resembled Post Cereal’s new “brand” representatives ( bears, what else!), and a copy of the ad layout.

After that, it has to be Ipana Toothpaste; I can still sing the jingle: Brusha, Brusha, Brusha, Brush with new Ipana…” and their brand representative: “Bucky Beaver.” Now that I think of it animal-character marketing seemed to be a trend back then; although Ipana later moved on to “The Invisible Shield of Protection” - a reference to fluoride, and perhaps influenced by the burgeoning of space exploration /popularity of science fiction – just a theory.

* What influence(s) made you decide to pursue marketing as a profession?
I don’t know that it was so much a specific influence, as an innate instinct, and a “gift of the glib “( not just gab).

In early 1970’s, I was working in education management, promoting the NYC’s Board of Ed’s Coop Work-Study program; my role was ‘selling the idea’ of student job sharing to everyone from HR reps to CEO’s, as well as participating in panel discussions on radio. I was good at it.

That experience lead to Retail Management… and a winding path to Special Events/PR creating celebrity-centric marketing at “the world’s largest store.” By then, I was even better at it .

* What qualities make for a great marketer?
Imagination; ability to see larger picture; understanding real meaning of target audience and ‘niche’ ; and knowing how to massage them both to maximize their impact. It doesn’t hurt if you can write a little ( especially “3 Line POS’s) , or at least communicate effectively with the
copywriters who do.

* Pick your preference: Hard and fast ROI or experiment and see what works?
Been there, done both. The caveat in department store marketing: You’re only as good as yesterday’s figures. I enjoyed the challenge of marrying the two, particularly on product launches. Also enjoyed institutional (profile enhancing) event marketing that either informed the public (ie. ‘Women Mean Business’ – panel discussions held on selling floor); or tied to non-profit organization ( ie. National Dance Institute’s annual performance/fundraiser post event in-store reception)

* You are your own brand: What is the tagline for your brand campaign?
Reinvention at it’s finest © ; alternate: Chairwoman of her own aura©

* When you arrive at the pearly gates, what do you hope is pointed out as your greatest single marketing accomplishment?
That I convinced “Powers that Be” I deserve to be there in the first place! Not necessarily for any marketing accomplishment, but a record of small acts of kindness along the way. Please, no applause, just give me a soft cloud to rest on -- have a feeling I’m gonna’ be really tired by then – I hear it’s a long journey.

* What is your favorite keyword?
“Kindness costs nothing”™ second favorite: “Creative flow …The ultimate high”©

* What profession, other than marketing, would you most like to pursue?
This is a tough one. As a child I always dreamed of traveling into deep space -- spurred on by visionaries Clarke & Asimov.

Now: several; re-inventor types rarely have just one.

What first that comes to mind: Voice Over Artist – who uses her vocal talents & words behind them to promote product, organization, or concept to make a difference in the world; write/produce script to ensure creative control and reach broadest market.

Maybe,combine them – perhaps as Official Public Service Announcer for our first Mars space station. But if they only have an opening for Receptionist, I’m willing to start at the bottom & work my way up.

No comments: